Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Feb 2-5 Verse 9

It is easier to carry an empty cup
than one that is filled to the brim.

The sharper the knife
the easier it is to dull.
The more wealth you possess
the harder it is to protect.
Pride brings its own trouble.

When you have accomplished your goal
simply walk away.
This is the path way to Heaven. 

We never seem to have enough. We always want more. We fill and we fill and this is how we live the bulk of our lives. Shopping for more, creating more in our homes. Looking outside for the more to fulfill us. Now is never enough. There’s always that better TV, computer, relationship, car, house, shoes, pen,

We are in an almost constant state of unsatisfaction, we turn against our true selves and go after this elusive thing that promises us happiness. We need to realize that right now, just as it is, is just right.  How can we ever be content when we are always seeking and searching?

This sentence - We can seek for the love of seeking and we can seek out of the compulsive need to seek. - has a very definite difference. I have a love of seeking spiritual ideals, ideas, concepts, ways. I also love a good sale which is more a 'want' than a love.

When your cup is full stop pouring - it just overflows and makes a mess of what you already have. The line about protecting wealth is intriguing. Do you work hard to make money to buy expensive items only to hide them in safes so no one can take it from you? Seems crazy right? I do it. I have my 'good' outfits and jewelry that are 'saved'. Erma Bombeck wrote If I had my life to live over and she talks about using the rose candle before it melts in the attic where it was put for safe keeping. That goes around in my head when I get possessive of my items. Why not wear fancy shoes to work? They might be out of style by the time I have a fancy event to go to. I guess it is more of an appropriate perspective. These shoes are not appropriate for work - says who?! I will wear them and I will feel pretty (on a subconscious level because I am not 'attached' to them:).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment